What is Duphalac Laxative Syrup?
Duphalax Laxative Syrup is a treatment for constipation. It works by making the stools softer and easier to move in the bowel. This is done by drawing water to the stools. No water is absorbed by the body.
What causes constipation?
Constipation can be caused by a number of different issues, and the cause is not always obvious. Constipation is the feeling of slow bowel movements or no bowel movements at all. The potential causes of constipation can include:
- A sudden change in your diet
- Not enough fibre in your diet
- A lack of exercise
- Stress or anxiety
- Having to stay in bed for long periods
- Loss of bowel muscle tone
- Certain types of medication
The feeling of constipation can make you feel bloated or heavy. It can also cause headaches.
Who is this laxative syrup suitable for?
This laxative syrup is suitable to be used by adults and children, including infants. This syrup should not be used by anyone who is allergic to the ingredients contained in the liquid. You should also not use this liquid if:
- You have a rare condition known as galactosaemia
- You have a blockage that is not caused by constipation, digestive perforation or at risk of digestive perforation
If you are using medication for another treatment, speak to a doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before using.
Can someone who is pregnant or breastfeeding use this medication?
Speak to a medical professional before using this medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
How should Duphalac Laxative Syrup be used?
Use this liquid with a spoon or measuring cup. You can mix it with water or juice if needed. Swallow immediately, as this mixture contains sugars and it could lead to tooth decay. Duphalac can take 2-3 days to start working. The recommended dosages are:
- Adults and children aged 14 and over: Use 15-45ml, to begin with. After this, it can be adjusted to 15-30ml as needed
- Children 7-14: Start with 15ml, and this can be dropped to 10ml if necessary.
- Children 1-6: 5-10ml a day
- Children under 1 year of age: 5ml only. This medicine should not be used without medical advice.
If problems still persist when using this liquid, speak to a doctor or Chemist 4 U for advice.
Are there any side effects?
Like with many medicines, there is a chance of side effects. Potential side effects include:
- Abdominal pain
If you notice a side effect, stop using and speak to a doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist as soon as possible. You can also record a side effect using the MHRA Yellow Card Scheme.